Coyol Zona Franca, Alajuela, Costa Rica
“Building the largest Private MicroGrid in Central America!”
- Industry – Medical Manufacturing.
- Services Provided – Designed, Developed, Financed, Constructed, Permitted and commissioned the largest private MicroGrid of it’s kind in Central America.
- Company – Establishment Labs is a global, privately held, breast implant and medical technology company that designs, develops, manufactures and markets an innovative product portfolio consisting of advanced silicone-filled breast and body shaping implants ( www.motivaimplants.com ). Utilizing only the highest quality medical grade silicones, CE-marked Motiva Implants® are rigorously scrutinized by professional quality engineers throughout the entire manufacturing process. All of its products are manufactured in full compliance with ISO and EU requirements, and are certified under the Medical Device Directive 93/42/EEC.
- Challenge – Like most sensitive manufacturing and laboratory operations, the Establishment Labs facility must receive a continuous flow of quality power. Our intelligent MicroGrid offers a rapid payback thanks to peak power reduction, and it will deliver instantaneous back-up to support clean room operations when needed – preventing production losses during outages. Limiting the use of diesel generators provides even more savings.
- Solution – The MicroGrid, the first in Costa Rica and the largest in Central America, includes a 500-kW / 1 MWh lithium-ion battery storage resource connected to 276 kW of solar PV. Under normal conditions the system will smoothly integrate intermittent solar PV for on-site self-consumption; when an outage occurs, the MicroGrid will “island” itself off and continue operating in standalone mode.
- Results – According to Establishment Labs’ Chief Operating Officer, Salvador Dada, “[They] are committed to longterm environmental sustainability and green manufacturing, and value our partnership with Rio Grande Renewables and Demand Energy. They were instrumental in helping us finance and construct the first state-of-the-art storage-plus-solar PV MicroGrid in Costa Rica. This investment will make our manufacturing plant more energy efficient and help us obtain a Carbon Neutral and LEED Gold certification. We are extremely happy with the results and will consider this type of technology in all our future plant designs.” It is projected, Establishment Labs will realize more than $100,000 in annual savings.